Thursday 5 February 2015

Lucid Dreams (or Nightmares!...)

Hello Everyone!

 I've recently been having trouble with some lucid dreaming. However, in my case, its not good dreams, I've been having lucid nightmares. If you've ever heard of lucid dreams, then you'll understand why lucid nightmares are not good at all. For those of you who don't know, "lucid dream is any dream in which one is aware that one is dreaming" (Source). This basically means that you are fully aware that you are asleep and dreaming, but it feels like you are awake. You can control your dreams to some extent, but sometimes you can awaken from these experience sort of paralysed, where you are now awake but your body is not. Sometimes, you can teach yourself how to lucid dream, and sometimes put yourself into the state of lucid dreaming. I do not get to chose when I lucid dream or not, and am yet to find out why it happens to me!


 In my case, it is not that severe, I do not wake up paralysed. I do, however, have a recurring lucid nightmare. To further explain, I am fully aware that I am dreaming, and am aware that I can just wake myself up. This for me, is harder to do. I have found that I encounter something called "Eye-Pry", in which I feel like I'm opening up my eyes, or straining to open them. I don't know if this actually affects my eyes, its pretty scary. I consciously know that if I open my eyes I will wake up, but I struggle to actually fully open my eyes. There has been points where i'll believe that my eyes are open, then realise that I have just controlled my lucid dreaming. 


I have a recurring nightmare. Within this, I am alone in a house where I can only stay downstairs and if I go upstairs, terrible things happen. However, I always seem to go upstairs. WHY?!?! I have no idea. Basically, at one point within the nightmare I will become so aware that I'm dreaming, that i'll try and physically prise open my eyes. I have on occasion managed to switch on the light, which wakes me up, but I feel that this is all done consciously, but with my eyes closed. BUT WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!


Quite frankly, I don't understand whats happened. Why am I getting into this situation? Why do I feel like I can open my eyes when I for sure cannot at that point? and Why at this point does the dream stop? However, even though the dream stops I am not awake! 


I have tried to research this, as I am fairly new to lucid dreaming (by about 8 months), but the only time it ever happens is when I have this same dream. I feel like if I reach out, maybe someone can answer my questions so that I understand whats happening to me! Maybe my brain is subconsciously sending me messages that I am just unaware of. Lets see!


Have you ever lucid dreamed? if so, what about? Let me know in the comment section!! (Also, let me know if you know whats happening in my little brain!!!) 


Lucy Victoria xo

2 comments :

  1. I had a lucid dream today, I was so close to getting to space! Anyway I've had the "eye-pry" thing before, I think what happens is your sleep paralysis incorporates itself into the dream hence why when you sometimes run in your dreams it seems much more difficult since your physical body is paralyzed. Another thing you don't need your eyes to see in dreams. I had a dream where closing my eyes allowed me to see clearly with my mind. Because if you think about it how do we really perceive our senses in dreams? We're just hardwired to rely on our organs to interpret senses when we're awake, lucid dreaming is about abolishing those barriers and realizing anything is possible, you're only limited by your imagination. As for the nightmare, I think to have the best outcome you need to face it when you're lucid. Go upstairs and face whatever happens. Honestly your attitude really influences your dream if you go upstairs with the intent of resolving it you can! And remember in that reality and our waking life we create our own fears. If your subconscious is trying to tell you something then perhaps just talk out aloud when the nightmare reoccurs, say what's up? Happy dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for your input! yeah it seems that I should probably just go upstairs in the dream, but honestly I think I'm just too chicken!! Interesting that you've had the same thing with the eye-pry, perhaps its more common than google let on! Have a good day:)

      Delete